Sunday 8 June 2008

Have you ever been inspired by a book?



Lots of books have inspired me in the course of my life, too many to name here that's for sure. One story however kept popping into my head every summer, 'Fried green tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe'.


I always wanted to grab a handful of green tomatoes and try out the recipe (in the back of the book) but at the last minute I would be seduced by the ripening tomatoes and ended up always using them up in salads or making up batches of sauce to store.
Well this year I planted a batch of tomatoes in my strawbale beds to see how they would go over winter (the decomposing straw acts as a lovely thermal bed for your plants). I have a heap of tomatoes in June which are slowly slowly ripening. This morning I found a recipe in 'The slow mediterranean cookbook' and really wanted to try it.
Results: They were crunchy on the outside and soft inside and slightly sharp to taste. Will I cook them again? Honestly, no. I think I will use them in other ways before frying them again but I am glad that I experimented!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lara, I too have some tomatoes growing, only these appear to have self seeded from the chook manure I spread around some months ago.

I will be sure to mound the straw around them, thanks for the tip!

Blessings:)

Cwm Goch Chronicles said...

I have cooked a recipe from a book - the recipe for hot chocolate the woman talks her way through in 'Chocolat'! We grate the choc and add the chilli and other spices - and even a cardamom pod - it's divine!!!!