Tuesday 23 February 2010

Australians spend for Victory (14th Oct 2008)

Forgive me Mr Churchill, I shall tamper with your greatest speech.

“I have, myself, full confidence that if all do their duty, if nothing is neglected, and if the best arrangements are made, as they are being made, we shall prove ourselves once again able to defend our Island home, to ride out the storm of recession, and to outlive the menace of depression, if necessary for years, if necessary alone.

At any rate, that is what we are going to try to do. That is the resolve of Her Majesty’s Government-every man/woman of them. That is the will of Parliament and the nation.

The Australian nation and the nations of the World , linked together in their cause and in their need, will defend to the death their economies , aiding each other like good comrades to the utmost of their strength.

Even though large banks of Europe and many once wealthy States of America have fallen or may fall into the grip of the bankruptcy, we shall not flag or fail.

We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in Australia,
we shall fight in the shops and the malls,
we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the supermarkets, we shall defend our economy , whatever the cost may be,
we shall never surrender, and to facilitate this end we shall give Australians who are eligible $1,000 each so that they can spend all of this money in the lead up to Christmas.

What is wrong with this scenario? Well nothing on the surface. We are being told that the only way to keep Australia recession proof is to spend. This is in direct contrast to what I and many other bloggers have been extolling for some months.

Something doesn’t feel right to me. Is this going to achieve anything long term?

I’m still going to cut spending and save like mad.

1 comment:

The Crone at Wits End said...

8 Responses to “Australians ’spend for victory’”
1.molly Says:

October 14th, 2008 at 8:18 am e

Just as Bush did. Gawd will our Govt ever grow their own balls and come up with an original idea?
Just like the yanks, many will hide that money away, worried about the economic climate, and it won’t do an ounceof good. And those that do buy? It will be some imported product that won’t do the aussie backyard any good anyway *sigh*

Blessings:)

2.dixiebelle Says:

October 14th, 2008 at 5:33 pm e

I am with you… I am not nearly as well set-up as yourself and others, but I am focusing on doing what I can in my restricted circumstances. This makes me want to be MORE frugal, and if we happen to qualify for any of the money, I will be spending it… investing in more equipment, knowledge and goods for self sufficiency & survival… and in being prepared for the hard times ahead.

3.Kez Says:

October 14th, 2008 at 5:46 pm e

Cleverly written

I’m not sure if we’re eligible for anything or not, but if so I’ll do my bit and spend it - on more stuff for the stockpile

4.Julie Says:

October 14th, 2008 at 10:29 pm e

*Sigh* Un-be-lievable.

5.Simply.Belinda Says:

October 14th, 2008 at 11:10 pm e

I have to admit that I do understand why they are approaching it that way.

I truly wish governments would accept that economies that rely upon eternal growth are an irrational concept on a finite planet and find a way to re-jig the system. Unfortunately until then they are correct… consumption is the grease that keeps things running.

From that point of view how is this going to change my consumption patterns… Well by the end of the year my total debts will have more than halved and the extra money on interest payments that frees up will be mostly used to pay down the remaining debt, with a small amount monthly set aside for capital improvements that will help us in a lower energy future.

I expect I will also spend some time soon checking through our budget and finding the leaks.. My view is that this is simply a band aid shoved on top of a festering wound. I will gratefully use the time it provides to get myself more secure..but I have no doubt that the clock is still ticking.

Kind Regards
Belinda

6.Simply.Belinda Says:

October 14th, 2008 at 11:20 pm e

Oh… and I don’t need to worry about what I am going to spend the money on because being under 65 with no kids means I am absolutely not eligible for a cent.

Kind Regards
Belinda

7.Cat Says:

October 15th, 2008 at 2:28 am e

Yes, havent we been hearing all year that we need to spend less, and now it is we must spend more?!

Personally Ive never had a problem spending … but like anything, I’ll just ignore it and do what I want : )

8.naturewitch Says:

October 15th, 2008 at 4:50 am e

Well, I had a conversation with my sister on the weekend and we agreed NOT to do Christmas pressies this year. Both of us are of the same opinion - we don’t want our loved ones sending themselves broke (or at least decreasing their assets) just to give us something we probably don’t need. Sooo, I’m on a very minimal spend this Chrissie. YAY!

And quite frankly, if I’m going to spend money, I’d rather buy mulch for the garden or put it towards water tanks or solar panels. Oh you know how much I’m going to miss the mall? The words “like a hole in the head” come to mind . . .LOL!!

Great post, dear one! xx