Wednesday 24 February 2010

Crackers, I'm crackers (oct 18th 2008)

Hehehehe, that's how I felt yesterday until I actually tried the crackers which I made. I mean, who spends an hour of their day making something that is quick, easy to buy and very cheap?

Me now!

Simple cracker recipe adapted from here

3 cups of flour

1 teaspoon of salt

1 cup warm water

1/3 cup olive oil

Method: Heat oven to about 180-200 degrees (mine's an old dodgy oven so I have to adjust between tepid and fried to a crisp)

Pop the whole lot into your bread machine and mix on the quick pasta setting (about 20 minutes). You can also add your favourite spices and herbs towards the end. I made plain, sesame and cheese and chive crackers.

Forget about your dough for about an hour (or four in my case!)

Roll dough into a thick sausage shape and cut into 8 pieces. Set your pasta machine to the thinest setting and put a piece of dough through one piece at a time. Use a pizza roller to cut them into cracker size pieces works really quickly with less drag on the dough.

Bake on trays greased with olive oil for about 10minutes the more golden they are the crispier they get, or at The Husband said

"The ones closest to burning are the best" Jury is still out as to whether he was being a w!n(*%).. Let them totally cool then store in an airtight container.

So the actually rolling, cutting and baking took an hour.

1 comment:

The Crone at Wits End said...

4 Responses to “Crackers, I’m crackers!”
1.molly Says:

October 19th, 2008 at 5:23 am e

Welcome to the cracker club LOL

I haven’t purchased any in years, we lurvvvvve home made!

Blessings:)

2.Simply.Belinda Says:

October 20th, 2008 at 2:28 am e

Woohoo… I got it right.

I found the best way for me was to cook them to just start colouring then pull them out… through the lot in a baking tray as they were coming out of the oven then return the lot to the oven when it was turned off and cooling down. That way they seemed to dry out better without actually colouring up too much more.

Kind Regards
Belinda

3.admin Says:

October 20th, 2008 at 2:30 am e

Neat trick! Will try that next time

4.Karen Says:

October 24th, 2008 at 10:34 pm e

Have just made some - thanks! Just about burned the first lot (another dodgy oven here) but the batches thereafter have turned out pretty well (considering my lack of cooking skills). The plain ones taste like water crackers, and I’ve also done some with various types of salt, cracked pepper, & a steak spice mix. Yum!