Monday 1 March 2010

chia's to you (Dec 2nd 2009)

Well Chia actually! I bought a packet of seed from Eden seeds just for the hell of it. Heard about the seed and it's energy properties and thought "What the hell, let's try it!"

Here's the result;



I thought that it would be like cress but it's more like salvia's to be honest. Will let it all go to seed and see what happens.

Here's a pic of the fig tree, she's looking good isn't she!



and one of the pepino's. All three of my pepinos are totally ladened down, trouble is I have no idea when they are ripe! Tips, people!



Finally trying marigolds with my tomatoes.



As for me, I'm giving up coffee, chocolate, sugar and refined white floury goodies. I'm like a weasle right now I tell you; bad tempered and a constant headache. I start my day with a cup of hot water and sliced lemon then progress to a mug of boiled water on weeds. Today is day 3 and I am screaming for coffee. Nature Witch if I didn't love you so much I'd be making a poppet of you right now! (it was NW's idea for me to do a cleanse)

3 comments:

The Crone at Wits End said...

1.simply.belinda Says:

December 2nd, 2009 at 8:23 pm e

On the pepino’s the skin on mine get a slight & light orange tinge to them when they are ripe.

Doing a cleanse is tough at any time of year.. but in December I would consider it setting myself up to fail. Good Luck, I hope you are better at this than I am right now.

Kind Regards
Belinda

2.Margaret Says:

December 2nd, 2009 at 11:27 pm e

Yes, it IS a Salvia!! Salvia hispanica. Please visit my website and click on the tag for field trials. You’ll see that here in North America, we have been trying to grow it for seed, but that it seems to be sensitive to daylength.

BTW it can grow to be 6-8 ft tall!!

The Crone at Wits End said...

3.Nathalie Says:

December 7th, 2009 at 10:06 pm e

Crone- yes…I know it’s been a while (lots going on - will share with you over coffee sometime)…however urgent question….WHAT are you doing to your pepinos to get fruit?
Mine have flowered, and flowered (little purple flowers) which then drop…and I wait anticipating the buds will form fruit and ….NOTHING!!!!

Is there a secret? Are they self-pollinating? I grew these for elder munchkin and am very disappointed!


4.admin Says:

December 8th, 2009 at 7:05 am e

Hey Nathalie!

Not doing anything! Have five pepino plants scattered around the garden and they are basically ignored. Not much help I’m afraid

The Crone at Wits End said...

5.Sonya Says:

December 9th, 2009 at 6:47 am e

I’ve never even heard of pepino….so must go research now!
The Chia looks lush! Must go look it up also…see what it does…..
xx

6.Sonya Says:

December 9th, 2009 at 6:51 am e

Well…What an amazing plant!!! I like the calcium content and omega-3 properties. May have to see if I can squeeze in a Chia or 4 now….lol

7.molly Says:

January 3rd, 2010 at 12:23 am e

You are right, it is a type of salvia. Have just ordered some seed myself, will do a post on it later.
Depending on your type of pepino they should look gold with dark stripes if you have the usual variety, will take a few pics of mine and post.