Friday 26 February 2010

Audits, Accolades, Accountability (11th Nov 2008)

Rhonda from Down to Earth has asked everyone to consider doing a water and Electricity audit over the next couple of days. I think that it makes a lot of sense to do this every few months to see just how big a footprint we are leaving on the planet. As I am already halfway through the day I will be starting tomorrow and will amend this post accordingly.

Out of interest I also revisted the footprint calculator and got these results;

If everyone lived like you, we would need 1.1 planets.



Global hectares required to sustain your lifestyle
2.2
global hectares
Food 1.0
Transport 0.0
Shelter 0.6
Goods/services 0.5
Total 2.2

If we can get our family's footprint down under 2 I will be thrilled.

Now to show you all just how sneaky The Crone can be, I have adopted a different tack with The Husband; Guinea Pigs. The pros v's cons of Guinea Pig husbandry.

Pro's

They eat grass, amuse the tots and provide manure of a kind.

Con's

They kind of just sit there eating and will need to be caged to protect them from Felix Guinea Pig hunter.

Now, compare that to Chickens :) You see where I am headed with this? The Husband was very quiet and has gone to his room to think. He did ask me to find a cost comparison for housing for the different creatures hehehe.

I have started reading Animal, vegetable, Miracle! by Barbara Kingsolver, with Steven L. Hopp and Camille Kingsolver. This book had me hooked from the first paragraph! I will let you know my review of it as soon as I have finished. Thank you to T (Unknown Entity) for swapping this with me (also many thanks for the seedlings of watermelon, eggplant and glorious basil!)

Now for the Accountability bit: I have had an idea which I have shared with some dear Cronies. I will share pictures when the project is finished (I have got my fabric all together and am in the planning stage). Hopefully I will start sewing tonight! I have to get a move on, the prototype is going to be my secret santa gift for someone!

Anyway, must be coffee time now!

PS: just a couple of questions!

Which blogger had a bee fly up her dress and sting her on her assetts? I can't for the life of me remember! And, when trying to find a non plastic hairbrush what do you do if you are a vegetarian? Yep, the bristles are boarbristles!

No comments: