Friday 26 February 2010

Belinda's challenge week 4 (8th Nov 2008)

Where did this week go, surely it's still October? I've been in a bit of a whirlwind this week as a lot has been happening.

Monday was The Husband's birthday, It was also our 19th wedding anniversary :o

We made the decision that for this year we wouldn't be doing the 'Gift' thing. Rather we would have a day where we both 'thought before we spoke' and applied the principal "will this matter in five years time?" You know what, it worked! We had a lovely day free from stress and expectations :)

This train of thought brings me to expectations. What do I expect from Peak Oil, climate change and the Financial crisis and how it will impact on my family?

Am I being naive thinking that we will be just fine because I have planned for this eventuality? Yes! Thinking that I can continue in the midst of suburbia without getting out of my comfort zone is naive. I tend to only network with like minded people. How the hell does one network and reach out to neighbours who write "Crack Whore" in front of the other neighbours house? Short of selling and moving to acreage (The Husband does not want to do this) I really don't know what to do.

So, Belinda's challenge

Sowing seed or Planting Planted peanuts, tomatoes, capsicums, mushroom plant.
Planning for The Future - meal planning, the next seasons garden plan, working out storage plans or more long term goals and projects like plans for digging root cellars I read this week about a woman who gets her diary and meal plans for the whole year so that she doesn't have to worry about thinking about meal anxiety in the future. What a brilliant idea! it would also serve as a good indicator of what stocks I need season to season.
Working for the Future - storing food, managing stores, preserving, building that home made cob or solar oven, adding house insulation, saving for manual grain mills etc Still working on the husband to get him to agree to chickens. He is a Scorpio, I am a Taurean; who's going to win this battle?
Building Community - volunteering, donations, joining an existing community group, forming your own community group, taking a cake to a friend having a hard time, calling someone you just let drift out of your life, etc now this is where I am challenged. I need to take baby steps out of my comfort zone. What do you suggest, a bag of lettuce over the fence or a cake? Or maybe positive thoughts and lighting lots of candles for new neighbours :o

No comments: