Wednesday 24 February 2010

Beltaine (Oct 31st 2008)

In the southern hemisphere November 1st is Beltaine; a time for celebrating the height of spring and all the life blossoming around us.

Beltaine is a celebration of flowers, fertility and sensuality, so go light some fires and raise your glass to the Goddess and thank her for her blessings tonight :) and if you can, go worship in your garden with your lover.

I can't believe that it is week three of Belinda's Challenge! This week has just flown by for me but I have achieved something that I have wanted to do for a long time; I purposely made butter.

Now I have made butter several times by misadventure (walked away from the mixer whilst whipping cream) but today it was my intent to make pure, unsalted butter. The cream cost $2.48 for 600mls and whipped up into a butter pat weighing 250gms. Now I can buy 500gms of homebrand butter for $4 but the difference in flavour and texture is amazing. Butter making is one more thing I will be doing in future :) I also have the buttermilk to make pancakes as a byproduct.

In the garden I haven't planted that much this week other than two chillies given to me by Cathode and some cabbage seeds. It's been a week of getting used to daylight saving and the un natural rhythms that it imposes on me. I am such a nature person that when the sun is high above me I know that that is midday, not what time someone else decides for me.

Love to all, blessed be!

1 comment:

The Crone at Wits End said...

7 Responses to “Beltaine, wine and butter making”
1.kel Says:

October 31st, 2008 at 4:53 am e

ahh, fresh whipped butter, fat of the goddess! funnily enough i had my first ‘ahh butter’ moment on a qantas flight. the butter was whipped, fresh and from some small co-op in OZ. who would have believed it!

2.naturewitch Says:

October 31st, 2008 at 5:27 am e

Yummy butter! mmmm! Yes, must return to making my own, too. And, if you want a more spreadable product, you can always add some oil (safflower or rice bran is good) while the butter is still soft and you’ll also reduce the saturated fat content. xx

3.Nathalie Says:

October 31st, 2008 at 6:32 am e

How is this to start our Beltane celebrations - our chicks arrived 2 days ago! We have 4 buttermilk yellow ones and one black one with a little white spot on it’s brow.
Very pleased!

Happy Beltane to you and yours Crone! Hope you used that wonderful butter in your Sabbat cakes.

Blessings,
Nat

4.Yarrow Says:

November 2nd, 2008 at 11:30 am e

Hello, though we ahve just celebrated Samhain here in the US, I wanted to wish you a blessed Beltaine and a lovely spring. Blessings.

5.flmom Says:

November 2nd, 2008 at 3:25 pm e

How fun to read this as I was just reading about making butter and having the by-product of buttermilk in one of the magazines I picked up in the library’s freebie bin yesterday. It’s definitely something I’m keeping in mind. A lot will depend upon the price and availability of cream in my area.

Enjoy!

6.katef Says:

November 3rd, 2008 at 7:12 am e

oh wow home made butter… silly me I thought you needed special cream to do that. I wonder if we could do the shake in a jar thing - we don’t have an electric mixer (I whip cream with a wisk) and the kids at playgroup might like to try this… thanks so much for the inspiration!

7.Nathalie Says:

November 6th, 2008 at 8:30 am e

My Elder Munchkin made butter at kindy. They put a bit of cream in some of those old film cannisters (remember the old days with film derived photos!). they shook and shook and then had it on toast. He was proud as punch (and would you believe it the ONLY kid in the class who knew where cream came from)!!!